description

Learning to walk the tightrope of motherhood...

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Re-Balancing

It has been so long since I've written, I don't even know where to begin.

Well, maybe I do.

I've been writing this post in my head for the last month at least, probably longer. So much about our lives has changed since January 21, 2012, which is, apparently, when I last posted. So, here's the plan: Today, I'll give you an update on WHY there's been much re-balancing in our lives and how that has affected me personally. Soon (hopefully this won't seem so daunting after today) I'll try to give you some updates on other areas of our lives.

The long and the short of the spring of 2012 is that last June Greg accepted a job at Lafayette College in Easton, PA. On a personal level, we were thrilled with this opportunity since it is an area that we were already familiar with and it brought us closer to Greg's family. I should also mention that this job came with an offer of on-campus housing--a perk to be sure, but an adjustment that probably deserves its own post. (Re-balancing Living Space)

I have to admit, though, that the move threw me for a loop. It brought with it all of the heartache typically associated with moves--saying goodbye to neighbors, friends, and colleagues, as well as my students (who I had planned to loop up to the next grade level with). My mantra quickly became, "How lucky I am to have worked (lived, played) with people who it is so hard to say goodbye to." But, it still hurt...

Another shock came when, after being here for less than a week, I opened the newspaper to find out that the local school district was laying off ANOTHER 125 teachers after a previous 75 or more earlier that spring. There would be no hoping to fill a last-minute vacancy around here...

In the spirit of making lemonade, though, this year has presented some definite perks.
  • I learned that I like baking and got to do quite a bit of it!
  • We've made new friends and found that we have more babysitters available than we do date-nights.
  • I made my own schedule while substitute teaching in the local schools (a great way to really get to KNOW a school before you send kids there or work there). 
  • With the help of some very understanding professors, I fast-tracked my reading degree and finished in May instead of this next December.  
  • I enjoyed some slow days during my pregnancy with our son--no pre-planning weeks of lessons before delivery and no puking in the classroom bathroom this time around! 
  • And, above all else, I got to stay home with Meredith two days a week. If there is anyone the move has been good for, it has been Mer Bear. (Re-balancing Support)
The "problem" is that all of this change has lead to a great Re-Balancing in my life and as the roles of my life change, I am wobbling...

Wasn't I wobbling before?!


No comments:

Post a Comment