description

Learning to walk the tightrope of motherhood...

Sunday, November 6, 2011

"Thanks"giving: Day 3: My job

So, it's not payday or anything, but, while I'm feeling upbeat about my class and school, I need to share how thankful I am for my job.
First, in today's economy and with the ever-increasing cuts to school budgets, I am grateful just to have a job. Yes, the pay could be greater and the paperwork could be less, but I guess that's why they call it work.
Second, I am grateful to have a job that I love. I am genuinely excited to go in to work and see 21 (or 22 tomorrow!) smiling 5-year-old faces staring back at me. For goodness sake, they are on a never-ending search for the word "the" and come show me every single time they find it. (And in kindergarten books, they find it a lot!) Their energy feeds mine, and exhausts mine, but there is never a boring moment.
Finally, I am grateful for the support I have from the other adults in my school. I have AWESOME support with all the behind-the-scenes work that goes in to actually making the classroom function on a daily basis: stuffing folders, making copies, small group remediation, math assessments, and classroom management. Wow! I am blessed! I also have a fair amount of professional freedom at my job--freedom that many teachers are losing as districts hope that scripted programs will result in higher test scores. Finally, I feel I have support in my personal life from my colleagues and supervisors. That makes coming to work so much easier.
It's not that I'm willing to forego my paycheck, but yes, I am grateful for my job!

*Note: written on Thursday in class. I'm playing a bit of catch up tonight.*

No comments:

Post a Comment