description

Learning to walk the tightrope of motherhood...

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

"Thanks"giving: Day 9: Music

I can't name the artist for any song on the radio and I haven't bought new music (CDs, MP3s, anything) in ages. However, I truly enjoy music and it is what I am thankful for tonight.
If I have to drive anywhere by myself (a task I would dread), you can bet that I will spend the entire car ride belting out the lyrics to my favorite musical tunes.
If I'm taking a long walk during the summer, I'm keeping pace to my IPOD.
And, if I'm hangin' out at home with a song stuck in my head, I will be "singing" aloud, making up the words as I go, and often adjusting them to meet the situation at hand...
Overheard recently in our dining room:
"Yummy yogurt, yummy yogurt; tastes so good--like it should. Mer can eat it every day, and the doc says that's okay. Yum, yum, yum. Yum, yum, yum."
I am thankful for music, though, because I can tell already that Meredith loves it as well. She visibly perks up to music and is even learning to "dance." She has learned a lot of the signs for her favorite songs, like "Wheels on the Bus" and "Itsy Bitsy Spider." Often, the only way we can get her to eat is by singing--thus the yogurt song above. 
The other nice thing about music is that it is so easy to find a variety of musical performances, at relatively low cost, that are fairly kid-friendly. And, so, a super-special shout-out to the staff and students who put on the musical and reader's theatre performance at our school tonight--Meredith loved it! Thank you for helping make our evening so enjoyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment